Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Welcome!

Ever worry about catching MRSA while you're in the hospital?  I know I sure did!  That is why I am creating this blog.  I want to find out how MRSA is spread, and what can be done to treat it.  I will also pay special attention to nursing care related to MRSA.  I will be using the form of an advice column to frame my investigation of these topics.

There are two classifications of MRSA.  Community acquired (CA-MRSA) and healthcare acquired (HA-MRSA).  These distinctions are blurred because people from the community with MRSA often need care in hospitals and community clinics, thus bringing the disease into the healthcare setting.

A gram stain of MRSA bacteria under the microscope 
Image source http://pixshark.com/mrsa-bacteria-gram-stain.htm
MRSA stands for Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.  Methicillin is a type of antibiotic. Staphylococcus aureus is a bacteria that lives on human skin, among other places.  Some types of s. aureus can be treated with methicillin.  However MRSA is able to survive even in the presence of methicillin.  Having MRSA often means great discomfort for the infected person, a longer stay in the hospital, and greater healthcare costs.

Next week we will answer a question from one of our "readers" about how MRSA is spread and ways to prevent it!

No comments:

Post a Comment